As promised to everyone drooling over the chili pics I posted this weekend, the recipe. First of all, I recommend that everyone invest in a crockpot. Sure you can do this in a stock pot on the stove, but this is an easy, set it and forget it dish like many others I will be posting are. Crockpots save time and allows for bulk cooking for the week.
2 lbs Lean Grass-Fed Beef, whole cuts trimmed to 1″ cubes or ground if preferred
1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
2 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
2 Jalapeños, chopped very small
2 bulbs Fresh Garlic, chopped very small
2 12 oz cans Crushed Tomatoes (check label for additives)
1 bunch Cilantro, chopped fine
4 tbsp Cumin
4 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 oz 80% Organic Dark Chocolate
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Turn on crockpot to high.
2. In a nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat, brown the beef, drain and transfer to crockpot.
3. In same pan, sauté onions, green peppers and jalapeños until onions are just translucent. Add garlic and continue to sauté 1 minute until garlic becomes fragrant. Transfer to crockpot.
4. Add tomatoes, spices and chocolate to crockpot salting lightly as you can adjust this later.
5. Allow chili to come to a simmer and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for minimum 2 hours. At this point, I will reduce heat to warm and allow to cook overnight. You may finish it at this stage with the cilantro and serve or package and refrigerate. Keep in mind that the flavored will continue to meld and evolve bringing a deeper flavor the next day.